Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Samples Samples Samples - March Conscious Box

I'm a bit of a hippie.  No, I don't smell like patchouli, but I did fuss and worry a lot over the MPG when I was deciding what car to get.  I also have a reusable lunch bag that I pack with reusable containers, little cloth bags, and reusable silverware every day for work lunches.  I use cold water to wash my clothes.  I am a tiny dictator when it comes to turning lights off when they're not in use.  You get the idea.  A lot of it just saves me money, but I'm all about saving resources now so that when I'm eighty, gas isn't 255 bucks a gallon because we can't find it anymore or whatnot.  That being said, I was so excited when I saw Susan talk about a sample box service I hadn't heard of - Conscious Box.  It's not just makeup products, but "a variety of unique pure and natural products every month".  It's 12.00 USD a month, plus 7.00 USD shipping, so a total of 19.00 per month.  I figured I'd try it for a month and see if I wanted to keep it.  This was month one for me, so here's what I got!




Right from the get go, they're walking the walk - 100% recycled shipping box / container box with veggie inks.  I love that they didn't use a whole lot of packaging for the box either.  It makes me happy.


Here's all the loot I got!  It's an exciting amount, really, and to my eyes, well worth the 19.00.

 First off was a package of seeds from Baker Creek.  I've been debating if I should try growing some flowers on my patio, and this just sort of hung it for me.  Next day I have off, I'm going to go to Target and get a little pot and some soil and start to diggin'!


This is a single serving packet of Tera's Whey.  It's got 22 grams of protein mixed with real fruit and low glycemic stevia.  It's meant to help people get more protien in their diet.  Pomegranate cranberry is pretty much my favorite flavor ever.  I'm going to take this to work and mix it with some water like it instructs and hopefully it'll help me stave off the munchies I always get between my lunch and my last break.


This is a bag of non-GMO, all natural, gluten free tortilla chips from a company called RW Garcia.  This variety is called Mixtbag.  It's a single serving, and who can't use tortilla chips?


This is a one glass sample of liquid coffee extract called Java Juice.  Allegedly you just pour this into some water and then enjoy some coffee.  I don't love coffee, but this makes even me dubious.  But hell, I'll try anything once, and since this box came with a sample of natural powdered creamer, it's game on for you, sketchy ass coffee packet.


Natural powdered coffee creamer!  Good Kind makes this, and I can't thank them enough.  Ever since I saw that episode of Mythbusters where they used CoffeeMate to make a cannon, I stopped using their powdered stuff.  (Anything that could kill a dude, probably shouldn't be swallowed.)  No, seriously, watch that clip and tell me if you want to use your powdered non-natural creamer for coffee or for BURNINATING THE COUNTRYSIDE.  I'll wait.  ... yeah, the countryside is the obvious choice, good on you.


Oh, acai, you're like the weird friend that keeps showing up to parties without me inviting you.  Why are you always around?  How did I meet you?  How did anyone meet you?  Why do you smell funny? Anyway, this is by Healthy To Go!, which kind of makes me sad that they have an exclamation point in their name.  But you know what, I'm going to ignore my hatred of acai and overuse of punctuation (you only use an exclamation point when you are exclaiming something, and if you use more than one in a sentence, may god forgive you) and just drink this.  It's got antioxidants and vitamins and junk, and I do enjoy me some tropical punch flavor.


These are Minteas by Tea Forté in their ginger pear flavor.  Allegedly they're supposed to help you focus.  Now, I don't know how many I'm supposed to nosh before I get the uberfocus of an owl looking for food in a field.  I do know that they're pleasantly zingy, which I'm sure is the ginger, but still vaguely sweet.  Thank you, pear!  They have other flavors that make other nifty claims, but at this point, I'm just glad for some zingy mints.  Also, the word zingy.  Note to self: use it more.


These are Crunchmaster Gluten Free crackers in sea salt.  I'm not going to lie, but these were fucking delicious.  Each cracker tasted like a big mouthful of perfectly popped popcorn, with just the right amount of salt.  I kind of want to take a bath in them.  A crunchy, delicious bath.

 Next up is a single lozenge from Olbas.  I thought it was Olba's at first, but nope, it's plural for Olba.  I don't know what an olba is, but if you're Swiss, please let me know.  It's a cough drop, and with the hacking plague the girl who shares my cubicle at work has, I'm sure I'll be using this sooner rather than later.


EBoost Natural Energy Booster in pink lemonade.  I feel like a douche, looking my sorta gift horse in the mouth, but ffff, I hate lemonade.  Pink, yellow, white, neon green, lemonade is disgusting.  My roommate will be getting this as a gift soon.


Next is a sample of Olivella eye cream.  I don't usually use eye cream as I have fairly oily skin and don't really need anything super hydrating under my eyes (seriously, it gets oily even there), but I'll try anything once.


This is a 15.00 gift certificate for mineral makeup from Mineral Hygenics.  That's enough to try one eyeshadow, or put a dent in a foundation and bring it to half off.  I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.


Free cookie!  Granted, it's a Morning Sunshine Breakfast Cookie, but hell.  It's a cookie.  I'll try any kind of cookie once!

I also got a code for 5.00 off from Hip Mountain Mama.  That, I'll probably use on some arm warmers or something.

All in all, I'm super stoked about my Conscious Box, and I'm already looking forward to the next one.  It's going to be for Earth Day, so it should have some awesome stuff.  I know this wasn't very beauty oriented, but with all the sample boxes going around, thought I should review it.  I'm in so many of them (BirchBox, Julep Maven, Eco-Emi, this, and I'm debating Sample Society.)  Do you like sample boxes?  Dish in the comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment